6 Ways to Tell You Are/Should be a Pediatrician
There’s no doubt about it, there are certain personalities or habits that lend themselves to certain medical specialties [see Dr. Fizzy’s: The World’s Most Sophisticated Algorithm for Choosing a Med Speciality]. With the primary care shortage, pediatricians are in high demand. So how can you know that pediatrics is right for you?
[Note: this article may be renamed “6 ways to tell you are simply a giant child”]
1. Over 50% of your Facebook profile pictures are you as a child. Because children > adults, obviously.
2. When at an ice cream store, the decision undoubtedly comes down to “BIRTHDAY CAKE” versus “COTTON CANDY.”
…whatever the final verdict, sprinkles are a must. Sprinkles are always a must.
3. Your daily protein intake consists of Purdue “breaded chicken breasts,” aka: “chicken nuggets for grown-ups.”
4. When at a fancy restaurant, you go straight for the “adult mac n’ cheese” (and pick around the lobster/bacon/anything that normal people would find delicious but that you just see as contaminating the perfect simplicity of your fave childhood throwback)
5. When your case-based learning group directs you to speak as if you were going to present to a patient, you blow your cheeks out, widen your eyes and tap your friend’s nose saying “boop boop boop”
6. When AMCAS asks you what languages you speak you check “English,” and “Other”….then fill in “Baby talk”